Tuesday, March 23, 2010

THE CANDY COLORED CLOWN

You are probably wondering about this candy colored clown. This is a phrase I came across reading this poem once. Though the idea of someone who tiptoes into my room everynight give me the chills, the idea of that same someone being there with the sole purpose of giving you a goodnight sleep, is somewhat reassuring, specially for someone like me who used to be insomniac. The sandman, as he is commonly known in the western folklore, reminds me of the time when my Lief (sweetheart in dutch) and I were just at the beginning of our then little romance. He used to call me everynight just to say goodnight, he would always give me a kiss on the phone when it was time to hang up (don’t worry my Lief, your friends did the same so you won’t have to worry showing your less macho side). I always wondered how long he would keep calling me everynight just to say goodnight. In a state of uncertainty at our then very new romance, I could not help but suspect that that kind of romantic gestures would not last long……
but I was proven wrong. I never missed a goodnight call until we decided to take the next step in our relationship and live together. 12 years later, I still get the goodnight gesture, but this time sealed with a true kiss.

"A candy colored clown they call the sandman.
Tiptoes to my room every night,
just to sprinkle stardust and to whisper: “go to sleep, everything is alright.”

No comments:

Post a Comment